Friday 4 September 2015

1942 Ginger Cake - Jennie On The Kitchen Front

Is it already Friday? Well, if it is, then it's Kitchen Front day for us!

This week I've made a ginger cake, well, it's actually a tray bake by todays standards. Never mind what we'll call it, it's ginger and it's cakey.



Before we start, the recipe does say to use a Yorkshire pudding tin, measuring 8 1/2" by 5 3/4" - I don't have a tin this size, so instead used the smallest tin I could find, which is about 8" square. It still works, so no complaints from me.

This ginger cake has a subtle flavour, should you wish to update it, you could always drizzle the top with lime icing.

-----------------

Ginger Cake - 1942

4 ozs Plain Flour
4ozs Self Raising Flour
2 ozs Lard - I use veggie Baking Fat
4 ozs Syrup
2 tablespoonfuls Sugar
1/2 teaspoonful Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoonful Ground Ginger
1 teaspoonful Mixed Spice
1 Small Egg
1 gill Milk (1/4 pint)

Stir together lard (fat), syrup and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until melted.
Do not boil, wait until lukewarm before using.

Beat egg and mix in milk.

Mix dry ingredients, make a well.



Pour in syrup mixture, mix.

Gradually add the egg/milk mixture.

Stir until smooth.



Put into a greased tin.

Bake in slow oven, Gas Mark 3 (160 C / 325 F) for 45 minutes.



Cut into 18 squares for serving.

--------------------------------------

Well, that's the recipe. Of all the wartime recipes I use, this is one of my favourites, it turns out well and is a nice treat with some tea or cocoa.

So now I'm off for some lunch, then I might just find room for another piece of cake!

Till next week

Jennie

1 comment: