Friday 13 July 2012

In The Oh So Charming Kitchen - Wartime Chocolate Biscuits

It's finally here! I'd intended to write this before lunch, but then soup-making got me distracted (red pepper, tomato and kidney bean - yum).

I don't know what to call this feature... Suggestions on a postcard to: Jennie Charm, c/o Charming Towers, Charmsville - I wonder what the Post Office would do with that?

Anyways, I am getting awfully distracted again, today I have the attention span of a... Ooh, look, a fox!

I'm a firm believer in having something baked for the weekend, and in these "tough times", an economical recipe is just the ticket.

I've adjusted this recipe as the original just didn't work, and that's not fair when you're desperate for biscuits!
These make spongy biscuits, a little cakey even, but so simple, and so lovely with a cuppa.

Recipe:

2 oz Margarine
1 oz Cocoa
4 oz Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
2 oz Sugar (plus extra for dusting)
1 Tablespoon Golden Syrup
1 1/2 Tablespoon Milk
1/4 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence

Pre-heat your oven to about Gas Mark 6 (200 c), line some baking trays with baking parchment and dust a clean surface with flour.

Melt the margarine and golden syrup, turn off the heat then add in the other ingredients and stir until a glossy dough is formed. If it's too sticky, add more flour - Too dry and crumbly, add more milk.

Turn out onto your floured surface and roll out to about 1/2 cm thick and cut into rectangles (or squares, circles...) and place them onto your lined trays. Prick the tops with a fork and dust with a little sugar (optional).

Bake for about 15 minutes, until they are firm, but the tops are still a little springy.

Once cool, then can be sandwiched together with chocolate spread or jam, or maybe even a little whipped cream!

They can, of course, be eaten as they are. They make excellent dunkers.



I'm afraid I don't know how long they last in storage, as they're usually grabbed straight off the tray!

I hope you enjoy. I'll try and think of what to make for next week's installment... Ideas?

I hope you all have a lovely weekend, I had a plan, but it involves an early morning... We'll see!

I'm off to grab another biscuit before my tea's gone

Jennie xx

4 comments:

  1. Oo they look deelish! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Going to have to try those myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yum, will have to try! Whenever me and my sister are together we make winter cookies and they never last longer than one sitting, which is fine, but a little scary when you think that you have just eaten 4 oz of butter and the same of flour between you! Actually she is coming home tonight I may have to make something!!!

    Tupps x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Going to have to ry them and eat them all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete