Friday 21 August 2015

Jennie On The Kitchen Front - Little Fruit Cakes

Hello all, I am indeed back with another recipe. I am intending some posts for other things beside baking, but as yet, I haven't gotten around to it.

This little recipe is from 1943. The cakes in question are not the light and airy ones you may be expecting, but are quite tasty, and not very sweet at all, indeed, I'm intending on splitting them and having them spread with butter and jam. I say that, but with half of them gone, I'm not sure it will happen :)

I've just realized what they remind me of, blueberry muffins... without the blueberries! Though you could use some more exotic dried fruits if you wish

Here's to it then readers:
---------------------------
Little Fruit Cakes (1943)

Makes one dozen cakes.

6 ozs flour (plain)
Pinch of salt
3/4 teaspoonful baking powder
2 ozs margarine or half and half margarine and lard (or baking fat) - I used all margarine
2 tablespoonfuls sugar
2 tablespoonfuls sultanas or small raisins - I used sultanas
1 reconstituted dried egg - I used 1 fresh egg
About 1 gill of milk (about 1/4 pint)

Halve sultanas or raisins.

Mix flour, salt and baking powder..

Rub in fat.

Add and mix in sugar and fruit.

Stir in beaten egg and enough milk to make a mixture of stiff drop-from-the-spoon consistency.

Fill into 12 greased queen cake tins or patty pans.



Brush with milk.

Bake in a moderate oven, gas mark 6 (200 C/400 F) for about 20 minutes.



I hope you've enjoyed this recipe, now I'm off to polish off another cake with some tea

Until next time

Jennie

2 comments:

  1. How wonderfully yummy looking and sounding! I adore anything with raisins (raisin muffins very much included). As we head into autumn, these muffins seem suit the changing seasons all the more. I might even add in some apple or pear for even more of a fall hit.

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - very economical on the flour and eggs, as you'd expect from a wartime recipe.

    ReplyDelete